Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

How A Man Can Win My Heart-Zaina,musician

How a man can win my heart  -Zaina, singer
Born in Chicago, United States to Nigerian parents, Zaina Agoro is an artiste whose journey into the world of entertainment began albeit late. She came into music after securing a Law degree. However, over the years, she has gained relative followership and has returned to Nigeria with the intention of bringing her sound to her roots. The double NEA Awards nominee in this interview with The Entertainer opens up on her music career, her challenges and working with Dare Art Alade among other issues. Excerpts:
What have you been up to lately?
Wow, it’s been really exciting! I’m getting ready to drop a new music video entitled, Totally Yours, featuring reggae star, Wayne Wonder, so I’ve been in the studios recording and doing shows here and there.
What was your growing up like?
My growing up was very interesting; I traveled a lot as a child so I was always seeing new places and meeting new people. My family is full of comedians so I grew up laughing a lot and enjoying so many moments. There was never a dull moment in the life of Zee as they call me (laughs).
At what point did you decide to go into music full time?
I never really made that big decision. I knew that once I finished school I would pursue my music career 100 per cent. I was born and raised in the US. I moved to Nigeria in 2010.
Were you doing music abroad before you came home?
I’ve been actively involved in music since 2002. I almost got a record deal but for my education. However, I kept recording and performing locally. By 2005, I started getting involved in the Naija music scene courtesy Eldee Da Don. I have even performed a couple of times in Nigeria.
Did you study music?
No, I didn’t study music but I played the tuba and trumpet while in school.
What inspires your music?
My environment, emotions and experiences.
What are the challenges you’ve been faced with?
I’ve had to learn how things are done in this environment, which is a little different from what obtains in the US. Also, making myself heard in a saturated plus male dominated industry has been challenging.

Was there a time you wanted to quit music because you got so overwhelmed with the challenges?
Not at all, I don’t see music as a challenge so much. I see it more as motivation and expression. It’s the fame that comes with its challenges but even still one already knows what you are getting involved in before starting. So, you just have to roll with it.

You have done stuff with Darey. What was it like working with him?
It’s like working with a big brother but this big brother is a perfectionist and very experienced in his craft. I learned a lot from Darey; I feel safe and free to be myself and try new things when I’m with him.

Any plans for collabo with him?
I’m always in the studio so you’ll definitely see a lot of stuff like that coming soon starting first with Darey and Moeazy.

Who are your role models musically?
I look up to a lot of older heads like Prince and Michael Jackson. In Nigeria, I admire Fela, Tuface, MI and Tiwa Savage.

What was your parents’ initial reaction when you told them you were going into music full time?
My parents always knew. They only requested that I finish school first.

Aside music what other things do you do?
So much. I do legal work. I also model, host shows, act and help run my family business.

If you had not gone into music what would you have done?
I would have either gone into modeling full time, worked in the entertainment industry or become an athlete.

Are you in a relationship?
No I am not.

Describe your ideal man?
Hmmm…I think it’s easier I describe what I don’t like (laughter). Obnoxious, rude and selfish men don’t appeal to me. But overall, if a man can hold my attention and stimulate my mind, he’s on a good path with me

No comments:

Post a Comment