Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Luca Toni Becomes World Player Of The Week

World Player of the Week

Luca Toni
 
AGE 36
POSITION Striker
PLAYS FOR Verona
WEEK IN NUMBERS
APPS (GOALS SCORED) 1 (2)
TIME ON PITCH 85
PREVIOUS WINS 0

Verona 2-1 AC Milan

Luca Toni’s tongue-in-cheek reaction to his double in Verona’s stunning 2-1 victory over AC Milan underlined why the well-travelled striker is such a cult figure within the game. “The two goals were for my wife Marta and my daughter Bianca,” the former Italy international explained. “I didn't score a third because I wouldn't have had anyone to dedicate it to."

When the World Cup winner was then asked why he is still subjecting his 36-year-old frame to the rigour of top-flight football, he replied: "I'm enjoying myself and this is crucial. Fortunately, I have earned a lot of money in my life and I'm only still playing because I love football.”

On the evidence of Saturday evening’s meeting with Milan, though, he still has plenty to offer at the highest level. Indeed, as Goal Italia's Renato Maisini explains, Toni tormented the Rossoneri throughout the game at the Marc'Antonio Bentigodi and remains as formidable as ever in the air.

"Although he is now 36, Luca Toni continues to guarantee goals. As his double proved, the former Fiorentina and Bayern Munich hitman is still without equal when it comes to his aerial prowess.

"Having picked him up on a free transfer, Verona already looked to have pulled off Serie A's signing of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment